Tending Space Fellowships for Artists
Tending Space Fellowships for Artists was developed with the view that art has the capacity to infuse the experience of everyday life with awareness. The aim of the program is to nurture the creative practice of seeing things as they are, to cultivate that awareness, and to live and create from this insight. To accomplish this, we provide financial support for artists to experience the immersive, contemplative environment of a meditation retreat.
Qualified applicants will be full-time artists—visual, performing artists, writers, and multi-disciplinary artists—whose professions directly relate to their artmaking practice. Tending Space Fellowships are available for full-time artists with a sincere desire for the experiences of extended meditation practice to inform and influence their creative expression in the world.
- Those who are new to meditation or have never attended a retreat longer than a weekend are eligible for 100% funding.
- Those with previous meditation retreat experience are eligible for 50% support, with need-based support available beyond that.
- Those in financial need are eligible for 100% funding.
- If you can comfortably pay for any portion of the program, you are welcome to do so, as this will allow funding to be spread among more people.
- Financial support is limited to attendance at one retreat per year at Copper Beech Institute.
Please note: If you are awarded a fellowship, you are committing to attend the retreat for which you are applying. Should you need to cancel your fellowship for any reason, you must notify Copper Beech Institute immediately at 860-760-9750. Cancellations may result in forfeiting your eligibility for a Hemera Fellowship for the following year.
How to Apply
- To apply for a scholarship, please complete and submit a Fellowship Application Form by clicking the Apply button below before registering for the program you wish to attend. You will need to create an account and pay an application fee of $5. Please note your retreat of interest on the application form.
- You will be notified if your application has been accepted within four weeks of your application date. Most requests are granted in part or in full as funding is available.
- Once your fellowship is granted, you will receive an email with registration instruction. You do not need to register for the retreat prior to your award notification.
By applying for a Hemera Fellowship, you agree to allow your contact information to be shared with Hemera Foundation.
Eligible Artist Fellowship Retreats
All Copper Beech programs eligible for fellowships can be viewed in the carousel below. Please click the arrow button to see more programs.
Overnight retreat with Kell Julliard
September 21-23, 2018
Explore how the practice of meditation can transform all experiences — even difficult emotions and painful thoughts — into sources of joy.
Overnight Retreat with Miranda Chapman
October 26-28, 2018
Explore your inner home through yoga, meditation, mindfulness, dialog, and experiential exercises to cultivate resilience and greater care for yourself.
Overnight Retreat with Beth Mulligan and Steven Hickman
November 9-14, 2018
Renew and deepen your practice of compassion and mindfulness meditation, enhanced by silence and with the support of experienced teachers.
Overnight Retreat with Paul Epstein
February 1–3, 2018
Learn how to strengthen your resilience amid life's inevitable ups and downs through the practice of mindfulness and compassion.
Overnight Retreat with Fleet Maull
February 8-10, 2019
Learn simple yet powerful tools that allow you to shift unhelpful, self-limiting, habitual patterns and create life you want.
Overnight Retreat with Susan Woods and Carl Fulwiler
April 26-28, 2019
Explore basic skills from Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), and learn how you can become more resilient when faced with adversity, trauma and difficult emotions.