Contemplative Fellowships for Health Care Professionals
In partnership with Copper Beech Institute, Hemera’s Contemplative Fellowships for Health Care Professionals (CFHP) program supports the growth of health care professionals through contemplative practice in an eligible Overnight Retreat setting. These contemplative trainings provide a supportive environment in which individuals can cultivate mindfulness, compassion, personal wellbeing, and professional efficacy – qualities that can extend into their professional lives and improve workplace culture.
To be eligible for CFHP support, applicants must meet both of the following requirements:
- Be employed or a student full-time in a Health Care field
- Work primarily with patients/clients or oversee other Health Care professionals
Individuals are eligible for one fellowship-supported retreat per year. The long-term vision of the CFHP program is to build an ever-expanding community of fellows, both online and in person, whose professional lives are informed and supported by contemplative practice.
Eligible Roles Include:
- Physicians/Doctors and Physician Assistants
- Nurses and Nursing Assistants
- Orderlies and Medical Technicians
- Medical Assistants and Direct Care Staff
- Dentists, Dental Hygienists and Dental Assistants
- Dieticians and Nutritionists
- Therapists (Physical, Occupational, Massage, Radiation, Speech, Recreational, Music, Art) and their corresponding Assistants
- Social Workers
- EMTs and Paramedics
- Medical School Students
- Students in Health Care related (the above mentioned) fields
- Those who are new to meditation or have never attended a retreat longer than a weekend are eligible for 100% funding.
- Those with previous meditation retreat experience are eligible for 50% support, with need-based support available beyond that.
- Those in financial need are eligible for 100% funding.
- If you can comfortably pay for any portion of the program, you are welcome to do so, as this will allow funding to be spread among more people.
- Financial support is limited to attendance at one retreat per year at Copper Beech Institute.
Please note: If you are awarded a fellowship, you are committing to attend the retreat for which you are applying. Should you need to cancel your fellowship for any reason, you must notify Copper Beech Institute immediately at 860-760-9750. Cancellations may result in forfeiting your eligibility for a Hemera Fellowship for the following year.
How to Apply
- To apply for a scholarship, please complete and submit a Scholarship and Fellowship Application Form before registering for the program you wish to attend. You will need to create an account and pay an application fee of $5. Please note your retreat of interest on the application form.
- You will be notified if your application has been accepted within four weeks of your application date. Most requests are granted in part or in full as funding is available.
- Once your fellowship is granted, you will receive an email with registration instruction. You do not need to register for the retreat prior to your award notification.
By applying for a Hemera Fellowship, you agree to allow your contact information to be shared with Hemera Foundation.
Overnight Retreats Eligible for Nonprofit Fellowships
Introduction to Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
March 24-26, 2017
June 9-11, 2017
Mindfulness Retreat for Educators
June 30-July 2, 2017
Trauma-Informed and Trauma-Focused Approaches to Teaching Mindfulness: A Professional Training
Trish Magyari and Char Wilkins
July 28-30, 2017
Five-Night Silent Retreat: Coming Home to Kindness
Beth Mulligan and Jon Aaron
October 3-8, 2017